My favorite types of movies are those like “Raiders of the Lost Ark”, “The Mummy” and “National Treasure”. Oh, the adventure; the intrigue; the excitement! It completely engrosses me within the first five minutes of the movie! If you happen to pop one of these types of movies into your Blu-ray player, I’m there – WITH the popcorn!
What attracts me most to these movies is one element they share in common: that mysterious, coveted secret treasure! There is something about searching for that hidden fortune that makes a great story line on the movie screen. And the same goes for finding the hidden treasure for your life!
Why Are You Here?
The more clients that I coach, the more I realize that people are desperately searching for that hidden treasure in their own lives. They are asking the questions:
- What am I supposed to be doing with my life?
- What is my purpose in life?
- How do I find my destiny?
If you feel frustrated because you have not yet discovered your life purpose, you are not alone. “Why am I here on this earth?” is a mighty big question; like the heroes in the movies, it often can take time, energy and multiple challenges before you finally discover the hidden treasure within you.
Here are the four keys you should consider to help you find and live out your personal destiny:
Keys to Discovering Your Destiny
1. The very first step you want to take is to ask yourself, “Who am I…really?” This may sound like a simple question, but it is important that you search within yourself to look for the deeper answers. What energizes you? What makes you sad? What makes you happy? If you had the power to change ONE thing on this earth, what would it be?
2. Remove the limitations! Do not limit your personal destiny to what you see around you. Recognize that your purpose may be something that you have not even heard of yet – you might create a new path/direction that no one else has ever pursued!
3. Free yourself up to be in a better position to think, meditate and pray. Get rid of the things in your life that are distracting you, taking up your energy, keeping you stuck in a rut. When there is a lot of noise going on in your mind, it is often hard to hear yourself think – much less hear from God! If you want to uncover your true purpose in life, you will need to create time and space to hear something other than the day-to-day “chatter” that goes on.
4. Take a personal inventory of all your gifts, abilities, and talents. Don’t consider any ability as “small” or insignificant. It could be that you have become so used to having a certain gift, that you consider it to be common, when it is in fact unique! What do you enjoy doing just for the sheer joy of doing it? What comes naturally for you? This could be a clue pointing to your God-given purpose!
Uncovering your unique destiny is a process that requires intentionality. If you are ready to move forward and begin walking in your life purpose, I can assure you that this is the most exciting journey you will ever take. Know that here will be twists and turns. There might be delays and detours. But if you are committed to this amazing quest, you can be sure that the rewards are like no other!